Centrica / Direct Energy is one of North America's largest retail providers of electricity, natural gas, and home and business energy-related services with over four million individual customers and 240,000 large energy customers in states with deregulated energy markets . We give customers choice, simplicity, and innovation where energy, data, and technology meet. As an international energy and services company, Centrica / Direct Energy, its subsidiaries and/or affiliates, operate in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and eight provinces in Canada. Centrica plc (LSE:CNA) is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to becoming the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society. Centrica's international Business Solutions group has been established to deliver distributed energy platforms to large energy users as part of a more flexible energy landscape. We expect to invest 700 million (~$1 billion) into the Business Solutions group by 2020. Combined, our UK and US businesses already have over 1,000 customers across 3,700 sites and 6 countries.
Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) is a global business unit within Centrica, set with the mission to help customers discover and unlock value via the energy-consuming and existing or new energy-producing assets on their sites. In North America, we design build and manage projects from small to large scale in the distributed energy spectrum. We have existing and forthcoming solutions for which we provide development, engineering, and construction services to deliver products and projects across North America for commercial, industrial, and institutional customers wishing to reduce energy consumption and/or generate energy.
The Commercial Solar Team is looking for a Senior Design Engineer to Qualify complex sites for suitability of advanced PV system installations. This individual will lead a team during site surveys including detailed measurements of roof and ground surfaces, document structural framing and roof system makeup and electrical system configuration. Draw initial conclusions on structural suitability and electrical system design and interconnection and provide that information to project managers and field operations. The engineer will work with the Senior System Designer and management to establish technical standards for create accurate system designs and production modeling. The position can be based anywhere and is considered a remote (Home based) role .
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Master the use of manufacturer design tools, train junior engineers on tools, and review their work with these tools.
- Review detailed bills of materials and coordinate ordering of critical components with project manager and purchasing specialist
- Support cost estimating by requesting quotes, maintaining material pricing, and communicating to project managers and sales directors for use in cost calculators.
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure adequate and current technical training on detailed engineering requirements is maintained
- Oversee preparation of submission packages for 3rd party engineering firms to complete permit & construction drawing packages. Review drawing packages thoroughly, provide detailed feedback, and communicate clearly.
- Oversee generation of basic drawings for utility interconnection application submissions, preliminary design drawings, and supplemental construction drawing details
- Build, maintain, and implement tools, resources, and standards to be used and followed by engineering team and 3rd party engineering firms
- Develop and enforce design and engineering standards, processes, policies and cost analysis guidelines and train the junior engineers on implementation.
- Provide technical system design & engineering related training and support to sales team
- Provide documentation support to the operations team and review technical documentation created by Design Engineers
- Monitor task status within engineering team and help coordinate and delegate tasks as needed
- Provide advanced troubleshooting support of installed system faults and performance issues
- 5+ years of experience in commercial solar PV system design and engineering
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Knowledge of the latest edition of the International Building Code and sub-codes, National Electrical Code and solar PV industry standards, like FM Global Loss Prevention guidelines
- Knowledge of OSHA construction safety standards, especially as it relates to fall hazards. Ability to engineer PV system to ensure safe constructability
- High proficiency with AutoCAD drafting software, Helioscope & PVSyst solar modeling software and standard office software applications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact in a team environment
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the 'Apply' button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.