Collage.com's mission is to make custom products easy for everyone. We strive to do this by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Our company has been featured on the TODAY Show, The View, and Good Morning America many times. We are a 100% employee-owned company that has rapidly grown to 40 employees and $25M annual revenue over the past five years.
As a 100% remote company, we are set up to provide the best possible environment for engineering. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes, inefficient systems, and commuting, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. We believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We pass almost all of The Joel Test (we only fix high-priority bugs before writing new code, but hey, we're a start-up), use continuous deployment (code goes straight to production after each merge), and are in the process of adopting mobx-state-tree with React. Strong engineering is a key part of our business strategy -- it lets us build best-in-class design tools faster than our larger competitors.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice lead engineer who shares our passion for building a great software company. This is a unique opportunity to have a major impact on our engineering team's growth (we are about ten strong right now) by helping us continually raise the bar. You will be expected to collaborate with other engineers to solve complex technical problems and push us to deliver higher quality code at an ever-increasing rate. We firmly believe in the power of solid architecture, code design, and simplicity over brute force, which is why we do our best to hire 10x senior engineers. If you are seeking an environment where you get to do meaningful work with other great engineers, then we want to hear from you.
- Make decisions about code design, architecture, and refactoring to balance technical debt against delivering functionality.
- Plan and lead testing for complex projects.
- Review code and mentor other engineers.
- Provide time estimates and participate in agile development.
- Review specifications and work with PMs to implement lean methodology.
- 5+ years professional web application development experience
- Practical experience with MV* architecture (such as Backbone, Vue, React + Redux/Mobx, etc.), unidirectional data flow, and minimal class/object interfaces
- Spatial/geometric reasoning ability -- for rendering, animation, and image manipulation
- Ability to quickly understand and work with unfamiliar complex code
- Pro-active and clear communication is essential for this remote work position
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting.
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We'll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
We are committed to providing a transparent interview process and making offers to qualified people who will be a great fit for our team. We've found that the best way to identify qualified engineers is to ask people to directly demonstrate their technical and communication skills.
All interviews are conducted over the phone. Here's what to expect from each step of the interview process:
- Application questionnaire: Your answers to the questions in this application matter! The team lead screens all applications and reads every answer carefully.
- Screening interview (30 min to 1 hour): You will speak with an engineer who will ask you to write some code that is typical of the work we do on a daily basis. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you have about the team and the company.
- Take-home assignment: This replaces an on-site interview. You will be given a 3 to 4 hour take-home assignment reflective of actual work in this position, which you can work on at your reasonable convenience. The assignment will be reviewed by a senior engineer.
- Second interview (1 hour): General interview with the engineering manager.
- Third interview (1 hour): General interview with the product manager.
- Fourth interview (1 hour): You will speak with Kevin Borders, co-founder and co-CEO.
- Fifth interview (1 hour): You will speak with Joe Golden, co-founder and co-CEO.