Vetspire is an Artificial Intelligence driven veterinary medical records and practice management platform. We're a startup reimagining the way that veterinarians use technology, impacting every aspect of patient care from AI assistance in the exam room to managing client communications and clinical analytics. As part of our team, you'll be designing the future of what veterinary technology should and can be, and you'll be joining a founding team out of the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory building a research platform for evidence-based veterinary medicine.
We're growing quickly and looking for a full stack engineer to join the team to help bring veterinarians' dreams into fruition. Your day to day work will consist of learning and understanding veterinarians' and veterinary staff needs and bringing them into reality from the front-end to the backend. To do this, you'll be working at every stage of patient care from the exam room to back-end analytics.
Some examples of what your weeks may look like:
- Creating an emergency room clinical census to monitor patients and alert staff in real-time.
- Designing the interface and algorithms for intelligent immunization reminders.
- Building a secure messaging platform for client and doctor communications.
We're looking for someone who will take ownership over the full pipeline of their work in a team-centered atmosphere that will work and talk directly with the users every day. You'll want to take pride in talking with clients to understand their needs, brainstorm with the clients to find the ideal solution, implement the back-end architecture at scale, design beautiful and intuitive interfaces on the front-end, and continually iterate based on client feedback.
This specific role will be dedicated to working primarily with one of the large enterprise organizations we partner with that operates hospitals across the country. It'll be very hands-on: you'll work closely with their team to understand their unique needs and build solutions for them to solve real problems in the field. It's half-part engineering, half-part problem solving. Their clinics use Vetspire across America, so this will be a remote position, but you'll have to be based somewhere in the United States or Canada. Some limited travel may be required.
Our backend is a GraphQL Phoenix/Absinthe application written in Elixir, our front end is a React SPA using the Apollo GraphQL framework, our primary database is PostgreSQL, and it all runs on Google Cloud via Kubernetes.
Experience with these technologies will be a great bonus (especially Elixir, React, and GraphQL), but the most important experience is in understanding users' problems and putting together end-to-end solutions. Experience in healthcare technology is also a boon, but not at all required. Keen attention to detail and design is a must.
If you're a good fit, we'll reach out to set up a phone call to tell you more about Vetspire. If you're interested, we'll work quickly to identify if this will be the best role for you:
- ~30 minute technical screen, where we'll just ask some basic questions to understand your experience and skill level.
- ~1 hour interview, where we will build a simple project together that will incorporate both a back-end and front-end to make sure you're ready to contribute to complex applications. It'll also be an opportunity for us to figure out if this role will be a good fit for you.
- ~1 hour interview with one of our clients to make sure you're the right candidate for this specific role that will be working daily with them.
- After that, we'll hopefully make an offer and start preparing for you to join us!
If you have any questions before applying, please feel free to reach out to with any questions.