About Research Square
Research Square Company, a five-time INC 5000 award winner, exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Through our industry leading preprint platform, Research Square, research promotion tools, and AJE's comprehensive suite of manuscript preparation services, we are proud to have supported over 2.5 million authors in 192 countries since our founding in 2004. Across all sides of our business, our team of former researchers and publishing industry professionals truly understand the importance of sharing research results with the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
What we will expect from you once you're here
The Operations Data Analyst will possess an understanding of data analysis methods and apply those methods and their expertise to initiate and lead data projects that will help us to gain insight into our operations processes and outcomes and assist the Operations team in making data-informed strategic decisions. They will help define our data standards with respect to data collection, storage, and reporting and will have an interest in continued learning and development in the data science field. They will use their knowledge of SQL to support integrations with our BI solutions and the visualization of data for stakeholders throughout the company.
What Data Analysts deliver
- Accurate, meaningful, and timely data analyses focused on the business' highest priorities, including:
- Ongoing analyses of trends in Operations data, including submissions, capacity, contractor, and automation data
- Operations reporting, including the creation of self-updating dashboards for use in team performance management and producing efficiency reports to improve core operational metrics
- Easily digestible data reporting using data visualization software like Domo and Zendesk Explore
- Knowledge on data analysis methods from outside of RS through interactions with professional organizations, training, and independent research
Experience you will need
- Collaborates with stakeholders within Operations and across the company to empower our strategic and decision-making processes with accurate and meaningful data
- Explores our available data to identify fruitful research questions and projects
- Regularly contributes to the design or improvement of our data management and analysis systems
- Synthesizes data and models to provide actionable feedback for the Operations team and other stakeholders
- Serves as a consultant on data-related projects within the department, helping others find appropriate data resources and technologies to answer questions of interest
- Utilizes software (i.e. Domo) for data visualization
- Participates in the company-wide Community of Practice for data analytics
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-4 years of data analysis experience
- Intermediate knowledge of statistical programming languages, like R or Python, and strong experience with SQL
- Expertise in statistical analysis and organizing large datasets with analysis software
- Demonstrated creativity in using data to answer complex questions
- Experience with data visualization software like Domo (e.g., Tableau, Looker, Mode)
- Experience using Zendesk Explore is desired
- Continuous advanced training and/or certification in data analysis techniques
- Relocation is not required as this position can be remote based.
- This is a US based role.
Working at Research Square Company
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers' success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our organization is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment.
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine's Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017, 2019, 2020)
- NCBC Breastfeeding-Friendly Employer Award (2017)
- Family Forward NC Featured Business (2019)
Research Square Company's policy is to provide equal employment opportunity in all its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, military status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for US-based positions with Research Square must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire.
Research Square supports individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations to job applicants. If you need assistance completing our online job application, email . General inquiries, such as those regarding the status of a job application, will not receive a reply.